First release of the VMWare vSphere 4.0 (ESX 4.0) was not supported majority of Infiniband devices which has Mellanox chips. ESX 3.x users stayed their good old version.
Finaly Mellanox Technologies announced IB drivers for their ConnectX(R) based adapter cards with VMWare ESX/ESXi Server environment. The driver also supports Mellanox Technologies InfiniHost(R) III (mthca) adapters. The sources of this package are based on Linux OFED 1.4.1.
Supported Host Channel Adapters (HCAs)
- InfiniHost® III Ex (MemFree: Firmware fw-25218 Rev 5.3.000)
- InfiniHost® III Ex (With memory: Firmware fw-25208 Rev 4.8.200)
- InfiniHost® III Lx (firmware fw-25204 Rev 1.2.000)
- ConnectX® (firmware fw-25408 / fw-ConnectX Rev 2.6.000 and above )
- ConnectX®-2 (firmware fw-ConnectX2 Rev 2.7.000 and above)
ESX 4.0 drivers can be downloaded at their web site.